Thursday, October 28, 2010

Caramel Apples

We made caramel apples this week for Halloween. From scratch.  Two years ago our friends, Kelsey and Chris invited us over to their home to make caramel apples and after we ate them, there was no going back.  Oh. My. Gosh.  Delicious doesn't even begin to describe how tasty these apples are.  Kelsey made the caramel and we helped dip and package the apples.  A long process, but the kids played and we talked, so it was fun.  This year was my first solo attempt and while I enjoy cooking, Kelsey and I practice different cooking styles.  See, Kelsey is a by-the-book recipe follower.  She uses measuring cups, the appropriate sized bowl, the exact ingredients, and prefect timing for everything.  I tend to be an eye-ball estimator.  I rarely use measuring spoons, I often substitute or omit based on availability, and experimentation is the name of the game.  If a recipe calls for a onion and Kelsey doesn't have a onion, she would go to buy one or not make the recipe.  I would substitute minced onion, onion powder, or just leave it out!  Her method creates scrumptious caramel apples, but my method was untested.  I was worried because this recipe calls for using a candy thermometer and seemingly exacting ingredients and amounts.  I reigned myself in and pulled out every measuring device I own and put them all to good use.  Except for the vanilla.  I figured I could fudge on one ingredient without messing up.  I was right!  In case you didn't know (I didn't!) this is what makes yummy caramel (except the hand soap in the back):



 Lots of heating and stirring.  LOTS.


So the best part!  We probably could have covered another two or three apples with caramel, but it's much better to cut them up and dip them while the caramel is hot.


Finished and in the fridge.  We did some plain and some with pecans.  Mostly because I forgot to buy other "toppings" at the store and I had lots of pecans in the freezer.  And I was too lazy to chop them up very much.  See what I mean about experimentation??!!


All wrapped and ready for delivery.  We took some apples to Justin's therapy to share with Miss Caroline, Miss Penny, Miss Sarah, Miss Melissa and the rest of the gang.  We heard they wrote their names in them so their would be no mistaking its owner!


I have been giving the boys caramel apples to go with their lunches this week.  Travis loves it but Justin doesn't like the chewy stringiness of the caramel.  Too bad.  More for me!

No comments: