Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tidbits

A few things:

  • We visited one of my friends from work who has an overabundant garden. She gave us some tomatoes and a cucumber the length of my arm. Her husband is Mexican so she makes tortillas for dinner most nights. We went over after our dinner, but before theirs, and my kids started mooching her tortillas. They each ate at least three tortillas before I cut them off. I am pretty sure she thinks I don't feed my kids. Travis convinced my friend to give us a bag of tortilla flour to add to our stash before we left. Interestingly enough, my friend had already given me a tortilla press, so last night we made our first batch of tortillas. Justin ate them hot out of the pan, but Travis waited for them to cool. As you can well imagine, we ate them all!





  • Justin is starting to balance on his own. He can pull himself up on our legs and then he lets go and it takes as long as three seconds before he falls. When he stands next to a table he is able to let go and use both hands to play. Usually he leans against the table for supprt, but lately he has been shifting his weight and attemping to balance on his own! He loves the bath tub and when I run the water he crawls over and stands up, trying to get his foot over to get in. So while I take his clothes off, he stands without holding on to the tub. It's very exciting! Every day I can see improvement.
  • Justin is picking up more signs all the time. He really only cares about the ones that get him things, like "please" and "more". He also loves to wash his hands, so that one came quickly. But I am working on "mama" and "dada" and a few more meal-related signs. He tries to make the signs, but it hard for him to use his fingers independently, so some of the signs are harder than others.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

There's such a thing as a tortilla press? And tortilla flour? How did I not know this? I am so making my own tortillas!! I've tried to make them before but it was soooo labor intensive I decided it wasn't worth it but they taste so much better from scratch.

And to think, Justin wouldn't even put weight on his legs a few months ago. That boy's going to be walking before you know it!