Tuesday, June 8, 2010

May Follow-Up/June Prayer Requests

Another month down. Is the year really almost half over? Now come the hot months in Houston, so we are already planning our summer get-aways to the cooler northern states.

May:
  • Justin's Orthotics: I cannot be happier with how he is doing! Not only does he not mind them, he actually likes them. He crawls over every morning after getting dressed since he knows that is the next step and he picks he shoes and tries putting them on himself. He doesn't mind the cinching up or the weight of them. And this is one time I am glad for his cold nature since I cannot imagine wearing three layers on my feet in Houston in the summer! Now the one problem I have found is that his feet are dangerous when it comes to playing around on the floor. There's some punch behind those feet when he flails around! He doesn't walk on concrete to wear down the tread at all. And my biggest complaint is diaper changes. He likes to kick and I have gotten a few feet in the face while I am cleaning up. I am trying to get him to understand how it hurts so I just stop working until he stops kicking. Still only mildly successful!
  • My job: Nothing new here. It seems like it will be at least several months before we hear anything. But for now I am doing well and taking things one month at a time. (That's how we get our schedules, one month at a time.) That's what I will do until we get any news.
  • Justin's sleep: Slightly better. He still gets morning naps if they are warranted. I think it might have to do with teeth (We have 2 of the 2-year molars in to the best of our judgement. Anyone who wants to volunteer for sticking their fingers in his mouth to find out if there are more, let me know.) Some days are better than others, which is better than before. This week has been starting out badly, so please pray for my patience.

June Requests:

  • Summer is here! And so is the heat. We are enjoying the change of pace that summer brings, and we are hoping to do some traveling as well. Actually, a lot of traveling. And Randy will be going with us for some of it, which will be a treat. We are going to Florida, Washington, and Wisconsin. Please pray for smooth, uneventful travel. I am looking forward to Justin walking mostly for ease in travel. It is HARD to arrange a way to carry a boy, pull two car seats, and lug all the items we need for the flight.
  • Continued progress toward walking: Justin is doing better every day, so we know we are on the right track. He is cruising holding on to furniture, but he won't let go even to turn around and regrab the coffee table. He is walking holding on to our hands, especially with his orthotics.
  • Words! His receptive language (understanding what is spoken to him) is great. He's like most 2-year-olds: he understands but doesn't always comply. But he doesn't say anything and won't even really try. We are trying to work on imitation of sounds, like "vroom" or "uh-oh" but he won't even do that. In speech therapy he will sometimes form his mouth to try to imitate a sound, but he can't get it out. I am sure I will cry when he finally says "mama", but I think I'll cry even if he says "Travis"!

Thank you! You are so valuable to us! I never really felt the power of being prayed for until Justin was born, but now it's unmistakeable!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

If you have a layover at MSP this summer please let me know. We'd love you see you!

Unknown said...

So "funny". Rylen was the same way at 2. I hear him say mama once during service when he wanted me around 1.5, but then didn't hear it again until after he was 2 and now he says it for everything. That is where signing was big for us! I started it back up again at around 28 months because he still wasn't saying much but it seemed that he would try to say things when he learned a sign. At 32 months I was at wits end and I think you've heard the rest. Signing will be so key for you all to help him communicate. I am so grateful, even now, that Rylen will sign so that i can help him say a words correctly that otherwise i would have no idea what he was trying to say.