Thursday, June 17, 2010

Music Therapy

We started music therapy yesterday. Both Travis and Justin are able to participate and Travis was surprisingly excited. He was thrilled to be getting to go into the therapy room too. I have been considering this and I am not sure how to respond to his enthusiasm. (Maybe calling something else we do "therapy"?) Anyway, there was only one other boy in the class, so the boys had fun. The room was small, so forgive my close-up pictures. I really enjoyed it through them. (Weird way to say that, I know.) But they were very involved and the activities were changing and not too long for them to lose interest and the time went quickly. (Nice run-on sentence, I know. I am not really in a "grammatically correct" mood. Sorry!) She played her guitar and even let them strum while she did the chords and sang "You are my Sunshine". They did counting activities, color identification, songs with hand motions, and they played their instruments, which she let them chose. It was good for me to see how she adapted regular songs (like "The Wheels on the Bus") to involve more action and thought. It gives me more courage to think that I can be creative and stretch my boys to think new ways and try new ways of doing things.






We have three more classes, and Travis left the first one all ready for the next one. This is one of the things we may be able to do with Justin when his name comes up on the Medicaid waiver program lists. (Like maybe 5 more years.) Little opportunities like this are good ways to make good use of the wait and to give me ideas to try at home. Very good experience!

2 comments:

Monica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monica said...

Music can be soothing for babies. We used classical music when the kids were younger during napttimes. How much is a handpan .