Friday, October 9, 2009

Escaping the Houston Heat

I was convinced by other members of my family this week to make a short-notice, quick trip to Seattle to visit my sister and her husband, Jerry. I am pretty sure now that Justin is out of the infant carrier into a "big boy" car seat, I will need some assistance when I travel, at least until he can walk. So my mom lent a helping hand this trip.


We had tons of fun visiting Ami and Uncle Jerry: We started the day with a tractor ride. Uncle Jerry and Travis took a bush that was needing to be moved over to their house from Jerry's parents' house. This is us following in the car, and you can see Travis' head sticking out a bit over Jerry's left shoulder. (I missed the "before" pictures because I was getting Justin dressed.) On the way back Travis got to drive a little (steer) and move the bucket. Travis loved this and kept asking when they could go dig something with the tractor.



This is on Ami and Uncle Jerry's porch. Justin was enjoying everything there is to see.




Then we headed out to a Pumpkin Patch. They had some animals, a straw maze, old tractors, and a hay ride out to pick pumpkins. Travis' favorite part was the tractor ride (like we had to ask?) and Justin liked the bumps too. He laughed and giggled and waved his arms.







Justin is such a ham sometimes. He just makes us laugh! After this we went home for naps, long naps. Well, the kids napped, we ate ice cream! Jerry always gets some ice cream from work, and we had lots to sample: eggnog, chocolate coconut, irish praline, german chocolate cake, and even some of Mireille's wedded bliss! Really there were about 10 different flavors, but I cannot remember them all. I focused on the chocolate ones...

Since it was getting late when the kids woke, we just had time for a short boat ride before we pulled the boat out of the lake for the winter. (Did I mention that Jerry's parents live on a lake?) We bundled up, got the kids life jackets, and raced around the lake a bit. Travis kept yelling at Uncle Jerry to go faster and for me to hold on tighter! And he liked going in circles and spraying the water up high. Travis was a big help getting the boat backed into the garage too. He waved at Jerry to go right and then to go left. And then he helped wipe off the boat and get it unhooked from the trailer. He was a very good helper.





Poor Justin! He was all wrapped up in his life jacket, but he took the ride really well! He liked watching the water spraying too. He is so animated and social! Okay, maybe not in this picture...


The day went by so quickly. We almost forgot to get some ice cream for Travis, but fortunately he remembered and he got some right before bed. (Just this once...) He chose the chocolate ones too! We spent the next morning getting ready to go and checking out Mireille's new office. (Sorry for the lack of good pictures too. My camera battery was dying so I was trying to pace myself. Ami is going to send me some pictures and I will share them when they arrive. She promises some more wedding pics too.) Travis had so much fun! I wasn't sure I was going to get him to come home with me! When we finally got in the car on the way home from the airport, Travis asked when we could go back. That's the mark of a successful trip.

No comments: