Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Trip West and the Party!

I mentioned that my mom and brother drove to Phoenix, so I had to wait with the boys and Mommy Sharon and Daddy Jack in Houston until they arrived. Our first mistake was leaving earlier than we had planned. We had planned to leave Wed. morning, but opted for Tuesday night after mom and Jon decided to drive straight through. Have you even been in a situation and for a moment looked at it from the outside and almost laughed because it was never a situation you ever thought you would be in? That was us on the airplane. The 5 of us must have looked a little crazy walking through the airport. I would have thought that I would have been the one to corral everyone given that I was traveling with a seventy-something year-old woman and an eighty-something year-old man, and 2 toddlers. Instead, it was Mommy Sharon hefting the backpack with all the kids' supplies, and pulling their carry-on backpack. And Daddy Jack was carrying the car seat. That left me with Justin in the front carrier and Travis walking with his backpack. I was the most free I have ever felt while traveling! I never thought I would be traveling with that collection of people!

Okay, so the mistake was when we got to Phoenix and we learned that the air conditioning was not working. In Phoenix. In June. And it was past bedtime by the time we got back to the house. So the boys went to bed in only bottoms with the fans blowing full speed. That was the longest night EVER! Travis was up at 10, 11 and 12 and then Justin picked up at 3, 4 and 5 am when both kids woke up for the day. And remember, they had been sick and just didn't seem to be getting better. So we called our secretary (Randy, the only one with Internet access) and found an urgent care clinic nearby, but of course it didn't open until the afternoon. So we went to a friend's house for a while to go swimming while my mom waited for the a/c repair man. Even being sick, the kids had fun.



They had this great water gun, and Travis enjoyed that the best.






Then the clinic was open, so that was our next stop. Travis was nearly hysterical about going to the doctor. He really is rarely sick, and so when we go to the doctor for Justin he is always VERY clear that we are there for JUSTIN, and not for him. This time he had a fever, but he did not want anyone to touch him. So Justin went first and the doctor had to pick ear wax out of his ear in order to see inside his ears. Justin did not like that and he screamed the whole time. Way to prepare Travis! So Justin had an ear infection. At least in the one ear she could clear enough to see. Good mommy for taking him on an airplane the day before! Then Travis was more challenging and they had to do a chest x-ray and a finger stick. Travis did not like either one, but we made it through both, and it turns out that Travis had the beginnings of pneumonia. So they both got antibiotics and we headed back to the now-cool condo for another semi-restless night.



The entire time we were there, the children never really adapted to the time change, so we were up at close to 5 am every morning. And the floors creaked, so whenever I was up to care for Justin, Travis woke too. Usually I could tell him to go back to sleep, but not always. Then he came into the single bed where I was sleeping until I could disentangle myself and go over to HIS bed, until we started the process over again.


The second night we were there, Jerry and Mireille arrived so they took over the room where Justin had been sleeping, so he moved into the walk-in closet in our room. (Without the door closed, of course! What were you thinking?!) During the night it got cold and I had to put some of Travis' socks on Justin to keep him warm. (I hadn't brought any for Justin- he doesn't often wear shoes, and it was Phoenix. In June.) He has poor circulation anyway, so he always gets cold first. He looked funny with socks dripping off his feet!



Travis woke up with a very red rash on his face and neck so that afternoon it was back to the clinic. Travis started screaming when we drove into the parking lot. Smart boy. As I suspected, rashes are easy to diagnose, but hard to determine the cause. So we were sent home with another prescription for antibiotics, and hope he gets better. (He did by the next day.) Even being sick, he jumped at the chance to go with my mom to buy him some toys. Check out what he picked:


That night was the open house/party for Jerry and Mireille. We had an odd mix of people, but it was so fun to see them! My friend from college who is pregnant came with her 2 boys. The last time I saw her was when I was pregnant with Justin, in the Houston airport on her way through. I am SO glad she came since I knew we would be so busy that I wouldn't get to see her any other time while we were there. The boys played with sling shots my mom had gotten to feed the ducks in the lake below. They put dog food in the sling shots and let it go! That was a blast for them. My cousin came with his girlfriend, whom I had not met.

After the party we had to pack some things that they (Jerry and Mireille) were wanting to be shipped from my mom's condo. That is furniture. Big furniture. Like a desk and file cabinets. So we spent the evening hours wrapping cardboard and plastic wrap around everything. I wasn't wearing shoes, so when I came in, I flopped exhausted into a chair and asked for someone to be Jesus for me and wash my feet. Both my mom and Mommy Sharon quickly responded that they would do it. I was truly humbled and astonished at what friendship and a commitment to living as Christ would live cause a person to do. (I washed my feet myself, in my mom's big bathtub, no worries!)

No comments: