Sunday, June 28, 2009

Speech Therapy

We started speech therapy with our new therapist the beginning of June and we are really learning a lot! Maybe a better way to say it is that I am painfully aware of my lack of knowledge in this area. PT and OT seem fairly straight forward. Maybe not all the theory, but at least the visible evidence of progress and the exercises. Speech therapy has me a bit stumped. I can understand the explanations, but I can only plead ignorance when it comes to the progression of speech development and the "good" and "bad" things Justin is doing. Of course, I learned earlier that raspberries, while annoying at times, are actually "good". And I learned that while feeding it is "bad" for me to lift the food and scrape the food off into his mouth.

I have been asked several times what sounds Justin is making and if he is making any given sound. I often say no because I cannot recognize the sounds, but the therapists will then point it out to me, and by golly, he can make that sound! In fact, Char, his current therapist, said that she can hear just about every sound a child should be making in the "babbling" phase except for the back sounds (huh?) which she then clarified as the "k" and "g" sounds. She is extremely pleased with his current abilities. And he can imitate, which apparently is good for speech development. She makes sounds that she knows he can make, and then he repeats them, and then she changes it a bit to see if he will continue to imitate and make the different sound. Pretty clever, if you ask me. We'll see how Justin does.

Travis is in love with Char already, as she has a bin of trucks for him to enjoy while we are in therapy. And not just trucks, but also semis. And Travis discovered the first day that one of the semi trailers has stabilizer feet, which he has determined to be the very best part of trailers. (The feet support the trailer when it is not attached to the cab of the semi, for those of you without young boys.) He exclaimed in a very loud voice, "It has stabilizer feet!" To which Char replied, "I don't think anyone has used such a big word in this room ever!" And she is now equally smitten with him. Fun times!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How interesting! I am quite intrigued with speech. Rylen has taken to talking slower than other kids his age, but the physical is over the top. I often wonder what sounds come first or next and what to expect at certain times. I wish they had something out there that gave us an idea of that... then again we'd all get obsessed about that side of development like everything else. HA!~