Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mealtime Woes

We really have been very blessed that Justin eats so well. I really think he did better making the transition to solids better that Travis did. But, there's always a but, do you know how children have these PHASES? Like, things are going well and then the child decides to do it differently. I think it's out of spite. I am certain it's to make sure we never start thinking that WE have any influence over what happens. I know I sure don't. I never dare to claim that my children are the way they are through anything I have done. Of course, if you take the good, the bad comes along nipping at your heels.



So, Justin was eating very well, and now he has decided that he wants to feed himself. But he really can't. Not by a long shot! So, I have resorted to giving him the veggie sticks that he uses for speech therapy to "eat" while I attempt to shovel spoonfuls in between. He doesn't really eat them. He sort of gums them and spits out the pieces he breaks off. He does get some down, especially if the bits are followed by carrot puree chasers. It does take a while. A LONG while. But that's okay, Travis can take over an hour to eat, and who said I was hungry anyway? But it works. I got enough down him this noon for the first time in several days. Of course there is a slight mess that results. He will only grab the sticks in his right hand and he inevitably drops them as they get too small for him, so they end up in his bib. That mixed with the watery fruit juice he dribble-drinks make paste. I think it would rival Elmer's.




But he has fun. Oh, does he have fun! And, since in most things I enjoy a challenge, especially one so happily conquered, we're good. Until the next phase...

No comments: