Friday, August 9, 2013

Sad Times

When I moved to Houston to start flying I started going to the church where I met and married Randy.  We still go to the same church.  It's the church that Randy has been going to since he was little.  It has become my church home too in the almost 17 years I have been here.  I have grown to love my church family.  I have been to many wedding showers, baby showers, retreats, Bible studies, cookouts, and various other parties and activities.  I love how the church celebrates!  But along with that comes the sad parts.  The deaths and funerals that are inevitable.  We have been to many funerals over the years.  We have been to two in the past month.  While they are sad, it is also joyful hearing the fun stories recounted and the memories shared.  Travis got his first taste of bagpipes at a recent funeral!

I went to a funeral a couple of years ago for a woman to whom I had been taking meals for quite a while.  I had gotten to know Rita and we bonded over frustrations with insurance!  I took the boys to her funeral and they met Rita's family.  As I sat and listened to the stories and watched those closest to her remembering their grandmother, mother, and friend I was astounded by the delight and comfort those memories provoked.  I saw so much more of Rita than I ever knew.  It was precious to me and it made me see how much we are losing when we lose a member of our church.  That summer after Rita died, Travis' memory verse for Sports Camp was from Hebrews 12:1-2.  It says:  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith."  I love those verses and the "great cloud of witnesses" it mentions.  I am so encouraged knowing that the church members we lose here on earth are joining that great cloud of witnesses cheering me on every day.  It was the ideal way for me to help Travis understand that verse.  He knew Rita and now he knows that she's watching and encouraging him to run the race in a way that's pleasing to Him.

One of the recent funerals was for a man I didn't know very well, but I knew his wife and other family members.  The family shared lots of great stories about his background (growing up in Wisconsin on a dairy farm) and his favorite things (rocks, the Packers, Fox News, structure and organization, travel, and did I mention rocks?)  Each memory was filled with so much emotion; we could feel that the words couldn't provide an adequate description.  I wish I would have known him better.  We could swap Wisconsin stories!  Travis could learn more from him about his new fascination with rocks.  He could teach me how to assemble the perfect travel binder, complete with brochures and maps.  Pretty neat guy.  And now he's in that cloud.

Being part of our church family has been a blessing.  It's not even just the family that is, but also the family that was.  The whole of the family through history makes a pretty bold statement.  It's just another way I am in awe of our God and his plan for his people.  He takes care of us before we even know we need the care.  He provides before we recognize the need.  What a comfort.

No comments: