Thursday, March 4, 2010

Traveling with Kids Part 2

As far as on the plane, I wish there was more insight I could give. There are no miracles, no sure fire tricks, nothing that can guarantee blissful, happy children. But, I can offer a few tips:
  • Landing is harder on the ears than taking off. Offer drinks and gum as appropriate.
  • Make certain children understand the importance of seat belts and other emergency equipment. Show them where lifevests and the oxygen compartments are located. Help them identify exits and how to find them in an emergency.
  • When we travel 4 of us (sometimes me, the boys and my mom) and we have seats 2 and 2 behind each other, I put Travis behind Justin so if he kicks, he kicks Justin. I will reverse this as they grow!
  • Bring new toys, coloring books, reading books for entertainment.
  • Limit toys with sound, or make sure the sound can be turned off!
  • I also sing in a low voice to entertain the kids.
  • Snacks! So vital! You cannot guarantee what is going to happen so always, always bring food. More than you think you will need. The airplane is not a fully stocked kitchen. Trust me on this. There is no refrigerator or a microwave.
  • The two things in my "liquids" bag are chapstick and some Sunbreeze balm- this helps with ear block.
  • You can walk around some, but make sure you stay seated when the seatbelt sign is on. I try to keep my kids seated so they don't think they can get up whenever they want. And clear air turbulence (unexpected bumps) seems to be more prevalent, so please be careful.
  • Play games and talk about what to do when you get there. Make a thank you card to leave with grandparents or whomever you are visiting.
  • Games like rhyming, spelling, practice learning Bible verses, phone numbers, addresses, colors, numbers are all things we have done. Bring things for rewards, like jelly beans or M and Ms.

Does anyone have any other ideas for passing time on an airplane or in the car?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dry Erase board with dry erase markers and playdoh are always in my arsenal!