Monday, November 23, 2009

Vision

Today I had a vision of how my life will be after afternoon naps end, and it was not pretty.

I should have known it was not going to be the day I had planned when Justin was crawling around at therapy this morning (Speech therapy, mind you) and he face planted into the floor and put his teeth through his lower lip. He bled everywhere (lips usually do). We managed to find ice and calm him down, and we were able to continue for a little while. Oh, and did I mention I was wearing a white shirt?

Then I swung by to get Travis from where he was staying during therapy, and we rushed to the grocery store to fit shopping in before swimming lessons. (I usually try to cram too much into every single day...) We were cruising and we made it out with almost everything on our list and with a little luck from the stop lights, we should have just been able to make it on time. If we would have had swimming lessons today...

Oh yeah, I haven't been taking Travis to lessons because the only time we could fit it in was during therapy, so a friend has taken him for the past 3 months. This was the first session that I would be able to go and watch him swim. I verified that there would be class this week of Thanksgiving, and I was there and ready, but they decided that too many people would be gone and they would make up the time later...

Ooops. That's what I get for not taking my own son to class...

Moving on: I had some other errands to run (library, car registration, church) and Justin fell asleep in the car on the way home. He has been considering dropping his morning nap, but he cannot make it until lunch time without it. So when he didn't wake up when we pulled into the garage, I knew lunch wasn't an option. Sleep always trumps food for Justin. He slept for 2 hours, and Travis was bouncing off the walls. I had to get 40 letters in the mail for a church event and Travis did not like that I couldn't play "worker" with him. So we played worker until he was ready for lunch. And then I got a call from a friend who just had a baby this morning and was sharing some of the details. I missed the doorbell. Twice. Travis had to come and pull my arm to get me to the door.

Then Justin woke up. So it was 1 pm and Travis was still eating and Justin didn't think he was ready for lunch. More phone calls and doorbells and it was 1:45 before Travis went to bed for his nap. I started to fold the 4 loads of laundry that were clean, but still in the baskets. I could hear Travis singing and talking upstairs so I turned on the monitor. The songs he was making up and the stories he was telling were too funny for me not to share. So I called Randy at work and had him listen and we laughed together. That lasted for 1 1/2 HOURS, and I finally got him out of bed.

I still hadn't gotten the letters in the mail, which I really wanted to do today. I checked to make sure the mail hadn't come and I rushed inside to finish the last few. Oh yeah, they came and left during that time which meant I now had a trip to the post office in my future! Not too bad, considering I really wanted to go visit new Baby Robert. We had one more knock on the door, our neighbors selling homemade cookies. Oh, yeah, I am having one of those!

We ran out to see Robert, and came home to Justin totally exhausted and unwilling to do anything! I hadn't been able to start dinner during naps, because oh yeah, they didn't both nap at the same time!!! So I sent Justin to bed (at 5:30), and hauled the rocking horse into the kitchen for Travis while I cooked. Dinner was lovely and Travis ate it ALL. (I love it when that happens.) And I had to wake Justin before he called it a night. He wasn't liking being awakened and nothing was making him happy, so we took a bath. Before the bath, Justin finally got out the poopy diaper he had been working on all day (probably the cause of his frustration), but then in the tub he decided he had a little bit more. After hauling the kids out, draining, washing, refilling, and finally washing the kids, Justin was ready for dinner.

Travis wanted to feed him. My crazy toddler, who hadn't taken a nap, wanted to feed my freshly washed baby. "Sure, why not?" The day was almost over. I knew we were on the downhill slope. I could make it just a little longer! Travis did so well, and Justin was mesmerized! He thought it was so cool! He ate all his dinner too! (We had ranch chicken, mashed potatoes, and broccoli, if you were wondering.)

We were so close! One more book for each and they were both in bed. I wasn't sure Justin would be ready after being up only an hour, but he let out a big sigh as I lifted him over the rails of his crib, and he was down for the night. Travis kicked and screamed, but so far he has stayed in his room. I didn't even have to threaten him.

Wow. I need a little hubby snuggle and the laundry fairy to finish up around here. Anyone know her number?

1 comment:

~Erin said...

Wow Girl! That is a packed day. Sounds like you survived it and your kids thrived in it. That is a sign of a good mommy! I hope that today is filled with rest for all of you :)