Friday, December 14, 2012

Cookie Day 2012


This week I made cookies!   I have been plotting and planning and it all came down to this:





It seems rather paltry after some of my previous Cookie Day creations, but it was mostly me this year (Randy did lend a hand wrangling the kiddos and managing other household during so I could bake).  I think I am getting more methodical in my approach to cookies.  I have my categories (bar, drop, and refrigerator - I have abandoned cut out/shape cookies for a few years or until I get more help) and I make my selections.  I attempt to balance my chocolate/nut ratio so don't get too lopsided in my choices.  I always try to include at least one meringue (a gluten-free option for Justin), one mint, and one citrus (orange or lemon) just so it can be a little break from the pure sweet.  And of course, every year is all new cookies.  I think I may have set the bar pretty high for myself, but so far I enjoy it.  Kind of like Meat Day. :)

I made 10 different kinds of cookies this year: 2 bar, 3 refrigerator, and 5 drop.  That includes raspberry chocolate meringue, (My mom's cousin gave me this recipe and it is SO good!  But I am very thankful for my stand mixer!!) pistachio jam bars with homemade jam (My mom and Travis' creation - I highly recommend doing this at least once with kids who love pb and j sandwiches.  Travis understands so much better why he cannot have his favorite sandwich every day for lunch...), and ricotta cheese cookies (LOVE the cakey consistency of these!)

I had to bake over a couple of days but it all worked out really well.  It was all worth it when I get to deliver tins filled with yummy treats to my neighbors and to Justin's therapists.  The ladies at therapy said they look forward to it, it's the best day of the year, and better not be out sick on cookie day! And I enjoy going to my neighbor who is going through cancer and the other neighbor who went through cancer with my mom.  It gives me a great opportunity to enjoy a fun visit with them.  Cookies are good food!

No comments: