Sunday, October 14, 2012

Be the Church: Day 1


It was Be the Church Day again and we enjoyed a fabulous weekend of activities.  Randy and I both headed up different projects so we did a lot of organizing!  Be the Church is a day that our entire church goes out and works to show God to others through our actions.  I LOVE how the power of community makes things happen!

I helped with making meals for our sick and homebound members.  We made the food on Saturday and assembled and delivered on Sunday.  So we made several trips to drop off food and supplies.  This is Justin hanging out waiting for the building to be opened.  Don't you wish you were that flexible?



Then we were off to take down part of Randy's parents' fence and replace the posts so the crossbeams and pickets could be added on Sunday.  The boys LOVED helping with this project!  They both got their gloves on and used whatever tools we would share with them.  Too much fun!





Alaina had to stay inside with the grandmothers.  She really wished she could be outside in the action...


The guys narrowly averted tragedy by missing a sprinkler pipe.  There was quite a discussion about whether it was hit or not.  Then there was sprinkling of various parts of the yard to verify all was well.  Also a bit of sprinkling of the help.  It felt good.


My job in fence destruction is disposal.  I got to pound over all the nails and haul this pile to the curb.  As I was working I realized that last Be the Church Day was before I was pregnant and this was is after Alaina was born, so I did not get out of physical labor at all.  Not good planning on my part...



Here was Justin's favorite job:  Moving this pile of dirt...



...over there. 
 
Do all boys have a fascination with dirt?


So one time when I made my trip out to the curb with the pickets I found a man picking through the rubble and examining each board.  He needed to repair his fence and he chose our discard to use.  He hauled it away in his wagon.  Too funny!


And here is my pile relocated to the curb.  So pretty!  And now it's gone!


Then it was time to dig the holes.  Randy was a taskmaster and he made us go down a full 24 inches.  I was responsible for ensuring that Pop followed orders.


Justin did more "helping"...



Alaina resigned herself to playing with the girls.  I think she was dreaming of tools while she slept.

 
 
My mom took a picture of me digging a hole to have proof that I helped.  Actually, Pop and I did some good bonding over hole digging.  The dirt was so much softer than at our house and I would be happy to dig more holes there and not at our house!
 
 
Look at those pretty holes!  And the 80 pound bags to concrete ready to go into each hole.  (We let Randy haul them!)

 
Almost done for the day.  Once we got the posts set we were done and the next crew came in on Sunday to finish up. 

 
I wrote the boys' initials in the cement to show they helped.

 
 
All in all, it was a fun family day.  And a great start to Be the Church Day weekend!

No comments: