Thursday, November 24, 2011

CPAP: The Second Night

We were not put off by the long first night and so the second night I was prepared with a few changes.  We put the hose through the headboard and got Justin a better pillow so his head didn't move as much.  I also upped the humidity setting on the warm air he gets through the hose.  I was able to get the mask on without any additional help and Justin didn't get as upset.  When we said it was time for bed he put his hand on his mouth to say that it was time for the mask.  I was very encouraged and ready for a better night.

He woke up the first time 2 1/2 hours after we went to bed, with the same flailing as the night before.  That was the longest time he had ever gone without waking up so that was great.  But he was still a little too upset when he woke up, so that discouraged me.  But the rest of the night was better:  He ended up waking up about 7 times, but he wasn't upset at all when he woke up.  All I had to do was talk to him and tell him to calm down and lay his head back down.  It took a little coaxing, but he didn't fuss and he did lay down.  The last time he woke up was about 5:30 or 6 and so I took off the mask and told him to lay down.  He went back to sleep until close to 8 am.  I counted the night a resounding success and definite progress from the previous night.

No comments: