Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fall Cooking

It started feeling like fall this week so I decided that it was time for some fall foods:  We made caramel apples and pumpkin muffins.  And my very favorite cool weather food - soup!  I love winter squash and it's just coming into season.  Butternut and spaghetti are my favorite.  And the boys really like them too so it works well.  I am not typically a recipe blogger, but I thought some of you might enjoy these recipes as much as I do.


Black Bean-Pumpkin Soup (From Healthy Cooking)
2 cans (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 tsp. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
3 cups vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. bourbon, optional
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds

1. Place beans and tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
2. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; saute one minute longer. Stir in broth, pumpkin, vinegar, pepper, and bean mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in bourbon if desired. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions, and pumpkin seeds.

My notes: I use chicken broth instead of veggie broth. I don't add bourbon. I garnish with shredded cheese for the kids and they eat it up. I garnish with plain greek yogurt for me and Randy. I have never garnished with onion or pumpkin seeds because I never have them on hand, but they would probably taste good.  The pumpkin taste is barely perceptible but it makes it healthy!  Being pureed means I can get away with adding tomatoes (not a Travis favorite) and the kids don't even know!  Thick soups like this I give my kids crackers to scoop up the soup and that helps them get started eating it.  They always end up finishing with a spoon because they like it!


Very tasty soup! Makes about 8 (1-cup) servings.
Sausage and Bean Ragout (from allrecipes.com)
2 T vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
1 pound hot italian pork sausage (casing removed)
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 chopped fresh basil leaves
2 (14.5 pounce) cans diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, oregano, and basil
1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans (cannelini), rinsed and drained
1/2 cup uncooked elbow pasta
1 (6 ounce) package fresh baby spinach leaves, washed
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
1.  Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.  Add beef, sausage, and onion and cook until meats browned, stirring to separate meat.  Add garlic, cook 30 seconds more.
2.  Add broth, basil, tomatoes, and beans.  Heat to boil.  Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add pasta and cook until pasta is done.
3.  Add spinach and cook just until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and stir in cheese.  Serve with additional cheese.
My notes:  I don't use oil to cook the meat; I use mild italian sausage; I use dried instead of fresh basil; I use regular tomatoes and add the oregano and extra garlic and basil as desired; I use Parmesan instead of Romano cheese.  This soup is very tasty!  The kids eat it all up!  I don't give Justin very much broth so he can eat it with a fork.  The sausage makes it a little bit sweet and the spinach is a healthy and good addition of a different texture.
Makes about 6 servings.
Soups are easy and go with anything!  Do you have any good soups to share?

No comments: