Monday, May 16, 2011

Sleep Clinic Visit

We went to the sleep clinic today and talked with Miss Terry about how to help Justin's sleep.  I had to wake the boys early so we could make it to the Med Center for our appointment.  Except I didn't have to wake Justin.  And therein lies the trouble!  We left the house at 6:30 and took our breakfast with us.  This was a new floor for us in the clinical building so the boys enjoyed exploring the play area.  Every floor is different and Travis is starting to recognize the differences and he has his favorites.  The hospital next door that they started building when Justin was born is really taking shape and is scheduled to open this year.  Somehow Travis has a bond with the building as he has seen it being build.  Out of the window of the exam room we could see another building around the corner that is being prepared for demolition.  That is now Travis' favorite thing to watch.  Anyway, we had fun before the doctor even came in. 


I have to say that it has been one of my favorite appointments.  (I think we are up to 9 doctors in at least an annual basis.)  The doctor talked with us, including listening to and answering all of Travis' questions.  She commented on Travis' choice of outfit (his fireman's coat, cape, compass, fire boots, and gloves) and asked Justin questions too.  She believed me when I said that we had a good nighttime routine and that we keep a good schedule.  She asked me several times if I understood everything or if I had questions.  She wants to do another sleep study, since they like to do one every year to see how things change.  She wants a split study, which has the first half of the night regular sleep and the second half with the CPAP to see how that affects sleep.  After that we can discuss our options.


So, the upside is that we can get results after only one night rather than having to try two nights.  AND, I can get a picture of Justin all hooked up with the stocking hat on his head!  I know you are looking forward to that!


Justin did so fabulous during the exam.  She wanted to look in his eyes so he grabbed the "eye checker" and looked right into it.  He said "ahh" and stuck his tongue out.  She didn't even need the tongue depressor (or "thermometer stick" if you ask Travis).  Both kids walked out with tape measures and Travis scored a thermometer stick.  She was impressed with Justin's ankle strength (she had to check both feet since Justin insisted) and his communication.  A little bit of a mommy's boost.


And I am learning that every appointment has one nugget of information which makes the whole thing worth the effort.  The nugget from this trip is that a person may suffer from moderate sleep apnea and not feel any problems during the day.  No drowsiness, lack of concentration, etc.  BUT, a person with mild sleep apnea could have severe trouble during the day!  Why does no one mention these things?  I kind of feel like that might be good to know.  I want to ask every doctor we see, "Now, is there anything you think might not be important for me to know?  Because I think I want to know it!"


And I think Miss Terry likes the boys.  I wasn't sure I was ever going to get out of there!  She kept wanting another hug, another kiss, another knuckle bump, another high five, etc.  It took about 5 minutes to get away from the check out desk and all I needed to know was that they'll call me!  Travis is very ready to go back!

No comments: