Thursday, September 2, 2010

August Follow Up / September Prayer Requests

I have to be honest.  August was an incredibly difficult month for our family.  So many doctor appointments, unexpected problems, friends and family with cancer going through heart-wrenching times, and Travis' surgery using the last bits of our strength and energy.  It really wore us out and we are starting September depleted.  A friend suggested that I needed a spa day, but I am not sure that paying someone to rub my feet so I can just fall asleep is smart!

August:
  • Travis' surgery:  He is recovering well, but he is not there yet.  He slept with us the first few days after surgery and so none of us slept.  His snoring was worse because of the swelling from surgery and he sounded like he was drowning!  He moved back to his own bed, but the first night Randy and I were up there eleven times.  And we have to climb over the baby gate to get up there so it's surprising we didn't break anything!  Last night was better, only six times, but we are hoping for more still improvement.
  • Justin's tests came back and I already shared the results.  Randy and I haven't decided whether to follow up with the sleep clinic, but honestly, if we do, it will be after the new year because I don't think I can add anything else this fall before the holidays.
  • My mom has an appointment this month with the surgeon.  That appointment should determine when she has surgery.  Our best estimate is early October.
September:
  • Rest:  We all need so much rest.  The boys are not napping well, and night sleep is so disjointed.  We cannot make good decisions without rest and there are so many things that need solid decisions in the near future.
  • Travis' continued healing:  It's coming along, but he doesn't like to swallow even if it doesn't hurt because he is scared that it might hurt.
  • Justin's walking:  He is getting more and more stable every day.  Last week at therapy, Miss Penny said he stood for over 20 seconds two times.  And he's doing more at home too.  He has taken a few more steps, but they were more like he was falling and he took the steps as he fell.  The last two weeks he has made so much progress.  Every day I can see him getting more and more brave and wanting to attempt more.  He's also being silly too!  When I am lying on the floor, he likes to stand straight up and fall flat on top of me.  I had better be watching for it because it hurts!
We got a new computer last month and Randy is transferring all the programs and files and he is having some trouble with the photo program so it might take some time for pictures to be back.  I got some great ones of Justin standing up!  I made him keep trying until I got a good picture.  It worked well for both of us.

No comments: