Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On the Mend - A Few Things

I mentioned in my previous post that Justin had an eye infection on Christmas.  By Wednesday, it still didn't seem to have cleared up, so we took him to the doctor.  Meanwhile, he gave it to Travis.  And Randy.  And Randy also came down with a sinus infection and an ear infection.  He was quite the mess, as the doctor said when Randy was finally able to see him.

The doctor gave us some new eye drops for Justin.  And Travis.  And thus began the fight to get the drops in the eyes every morning and night.  Randy was sick, so after the first couple of times, I was left to get the drops in every session.  Justin lays in my lap and I can usually get the drops in okay.  He doesn't cry, but he grabs to pull my hand away.  Doesn't help.  Travis cries and then Justin starts up with the sympathy tears.  It's cute, in a frustrating sort of way.

I was starting to compose this post with all of the various things that came up the end of the year.  I was prepared to say how Randy always seems to get all the boys' illnesses, but to the extreme.  When Travis had hand, foot and mouth disease, it was inconvenient, but not unbearable.  But when Randy got it, I don't think he could eat for about a week with the way his mouth and throat felt.  And Justin's eye was swollen and goopy, but Randy's was downright disgusting.  I, somehow, seem to avoid most of the illnesses.  I could reason that it is because of my job and all the things I am exposed to while flying.  The first couple of years I worked I was sick all the time, but now I am reasonably healthy.  Yeah, I am sure that's it...

Then on New Year's Day in the afternoon, I started feeling my eye burning and goopy.  I prepared to call the doctor the next day to see what I could do about it.  During the night, I got all the symptoms of Randy's sinus infection too: sore throat, congestion, achy, headache.  Not sure if it was the same thing, but it made me feel awful.  And I woke up with my eye gooped shut.  It took two hands to pry it open.  Not even kidding.

Thankfully, although Randy had to work, the rest of the city still recognized it as a holiday and we had no appointments or duties.  We could stay home out of sight of the world.  And we did!  My eyelid was swollen and so was about an inch around my eye.  The boys watched TV and I laid around and suffered.  I did manage to find a doctor to call in a prescription and that was our lone venture out into the world.  I look much better today, but during the night my other eye started gooping.

Travis is healed, but Justin's eye somehow is still red.  So I get to continue with the drops and decide when is enough time before we go back to the doctor and see what else might be wrong.  Randy is feeling much better.  I still need a couple of more days before I call myself healed.  Eye infections are the worst!

No comments: