Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Travis is Four!

Today was Travis' birthday and now he is four years old! Travis didn't quite understand yet how he could be born this day but another year, because he's already here. His reasoning is sometimes uncanny, and other times so...far...away... Anyway, we had an awesome day. We started out at 3 am when Travis woke up and said he wanted to come and sleep with me. Normally I would have said no way, but it was his birthday, so sure, anything goes today! So the day started out way late, (or early?) since I didn't get the head start on the boys. I even had to use the card I picked up from the doughnut shop to call ahead and reserve a long john. I am not sure how I could have explained to Travis that he wouldn't get a long john on his birthday! Tragedy #1 averted!



We made it to get doughnuts and Travis picked out a strawberry-filled to accompany his long john. While we were eating our favorite doughnut shop worker packed a box full of doughnuts to give to Travis as a special birthday treat. She even wrote "Happy Birthday Travis!" on the box. We gave her some cupcakes that Travis had made for all his friends on his birthday. He stopped inviting people to his party since he was worried we might not have enough cake. So instead he wanted to make everyone cupcakes who wouldn't be able to come to his party. I thought that was a good compromise! Travis had to ask as soon as we got in the car if the doughnuts would last more than one day since that is the rule with all the doughnut holes we usually get packed in our "to go" bag. We get so many that they would last for several days if I did not put the "one day" rule on them. (One more breakfast of doughnuts and what is left goes in the trash.) I laughed and said that I thought they might make it a couple of days!



Then we went on to church for Bible study. We stop in the church office to drop off some things and Travis broke out his cupcakes. He nearly passed out a dozen cupcakes before he made it to his class. The ladies in the church office gave him a cool tractor and a sticker page, which he thought was so very special. He had been very bothered that he couldn't open up any more presents before we left the house this morning, so it was nice that he got something to open before we returned home. Then it was on to his class and his teachers got him some party horns (gotta love that!) and stickers and a chocolate bar. It's already very clear that the way to Travis' heart is through his stomach!



When I picked him up after class he was excited about all the cupcakes he was able to deliver, and he wanted to carry the leftovers out to the car. I told him to be very careful, which lasted long enough for him to turn around and see one of his friends. He took off running and used the container to open the door. This is what it looked like when we got home:




Fortunately, I am not one who is overly concerned with presentation. Travis said we could just put ice cream over the top and it would be TASTY! So ice cream covers a multitude of sins. I never knew!


Travis scored some pretty cool gifts today: He got a Lightening McQueen blanket and pajamas from my dad and his wife Tammy.









And our totally cool, wonderful neighbor got him a REAL hard hat and a light to go on your head while working, so combined it makes the best mining hat! Travis absolutely adores it! He has had a hard hat for a while, but this one we can tighten so that it doesn't fall off! He thinks that is great.


Justin enjoyed the blue tissue paper that came in all the presents. It was delicious! And he wanted to share too!


Then we let Travis chose his dinner (pizza!) and we went to a high school basketball game with the DS Association. They were receiving a donation and they wanted some members to come and participate. While the players were being introduced, each person with DS (mostly it was kids, but one adult) went up and got a basketball signed by all the players. They had some extra ones and so both Travis and Justin got one. Travis barely let go of my leg and Justin was too tired to do much more than wave, but everyone thought they were cute, and they posed for some good pictures so it was a fun night.

I am sad to see three go. Three was a great year. I don't remember feeling this was about two since there was still a lot of baby then. Now he is really a little person. Not grown by any stretch, but so fun! We had a mommy/Travis day last Friday and I found myself really looking forward to it! When my Justin sitter almost fell through, I was a little disappointed. We are at the point where it is exciting to do new things with Travis because he gets them now. He's fun and enthusiastic. When I go to the chiropractor, the ladies in the office say a sincere "thank you" for bringing Travis in to see them. They say that he brightens their day. And I know the women in the church office say the same. They get a little sad when Bible study ends for the summer because they miss their "Travis fix" every Tuesday morning. As his mom I feel that way of course, but when others say the same thing, it almost gives me my own little "fix". It's like being confirmed in the job that gives some of the fewest, but the best accolades in the world. I know that I cannot stop time, but I want to be sure to enjoy each day, good or crazy, lazy or busy, rainy or sunny because that's the only day just like that one I will ever have. Each day is unique, one-of-a-kind, unduplicateable. Just like my big boy Travis!

Happy Birthday Travis!

2 comments:

Kimberly Robbins said...

Awww, so sweet! Happy Birthday Travis!

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday to Travis! I agree with him about the ice cream! :-)